Bedtime But Not This Night

nursing-home

Bedtime for most people would mean crawling into a comfortable bed to sleep throughout the night; but not for a Palliative Home-Care Nurse.

nurse_-_home_careThe majority of my patients were suffering through the end stages of their lives.  These tender, very ill souls had chosen to spend their last days in their homes with loved ones, but some were alone.

My job was to come to the home to care for my very ill patient throughout the night while family members were sleeping.  Providing all the necessities they needed was the task, whether it might be friendly conversation, listening to a poem or story read.

Comforting personal care, required medications along with just a needed pillow adjustment was always the normal evening.

The courageous, yet disparaging family members present in the home also needed comfort and a great amount of understanding at this sad, sad time.

The house would be very quiet as family members slept.  Along with silence, the house would be dark in most rooms so that residents could sleep causing such a challenge for all of us.  Just the slightest noise could be an irritant. One step or a door closing could cause a squeak or a groan.

Often an evening at the bedside of the palliative patient meant having the most amazing conversation with this person who was not going to be with us much longer and now that I am retired and look back, I realize just what a gift this was for me.

The strength of a dying person is truly amazing!

In my memory very few showed fear or desperation but only peace.  Certainly they were afraid, as we all would be, but they faced their journey with courage.

There are many people out there working throughout the night doing amazing jobs and I for one salute you!

It is not easy but I hope it is as rewarding as the job I and many other nurses have been trained to do.

Photos provided by Google Search:  (www.clipartheaven com) (www nursetogether.com)

1. This is very beautiful. Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Thank you for visiting and for your nice comments. 🙂

2. gc says:

A poignant and touching article Pat. Well written. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much gc for all your encouraging words.

3. True George says:

It takes a special person to do that type of work…..you are one of the few ..

This is so nice of you to say. Thank you George. 🙂

1. True George says:

Yes, I know people who work with the elderly on during their last years. It isn’t an easy task.

4. Gail says:

You sound like such a kind and caring person. It does take a very special human to do what you do. God Bless You.

Thank you so much Gail. I also gain so much from my job. God Bless you as well. 🙂

5. Laurie says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. I have had extended family blessed with wonderful end of life care. My uncles wife was so grateful to his nurse and caregivers when he came home for the last time.
    God bless you Pat,
    Laurie

I found this work both challenging and rewarding. I knew I wanted to do this when my father was dying of cancer and had someone stay with him when the family couldn’t be there through the night. It is very needed.

7. Singledust says:

Palliative care nurses give so much of themselves and I am always amazed that they have such deep resource of love and compassion to draw on from. Thank you for all the good work you do.

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is challenging work but well worth it. It is also rewarding. 🙂

8. My mother passed away last year at home while we all sat with her. We couldn’t have done it without the staff of Hospice of the Valley. Each of them were so wonderful and caring. Mom was on Hospice care for 7 months and loved each one of her nurses/caregivers. Thank you for your work. It means more than you will probably ever know.

Thank you so much. I decided this is what I wanted to do when my father was dying and a wonderful lady stayed with him throughout the nights so his family could get some rest. Thank you for your kind comments. 🙂