The Promise : A Grain of Mustard Seed

mustard-seed

When I was a young girl I was given a beautiful small white bible by my parents and this bible had a lovely trinket attached to the zippered covering.  It was a grain of mustard seed encased inside a little glass ball.  Throughout the years I have kept this wonderful gift.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The reminder of the scripture, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you”  has stayed with me and comes into my mind every time to look at my small white bible.

How encouraging this one simple statement has been and has made a lasting impression in my life.  Through difficult times I have remembered these words and said them over to myself.

When I read today’s Daily Post Prompt Word,  Grain, this was the first thought that came to mind;  my little grain of mustard seed!!

il_fullxfull.831610160_rby6

I’m sure, when my mother gave me this precious gift she had no idea what an impact it would have on my life; but then again, maybe she did!

Now that I am a retired lady and grandmother I hope to pass my small bible along with the tiny mustard seed, so full of promise, along to my teenage granddaughter.  I know she will treasure it as much as I have along with all the meaning and comfort it can bring.

What better gift could I give her than a gift of a promise that “if she has the faith as small as that grain of mustard seed, anything is possible to her”.

Photos courtesy of;                                                                                    https://www.google.com/search?q=grain+of+mustard+seed

1. Singledust says:

it may sound so cliched but i had a really hard day today but reading this i feel like all my burdens are lifted. was it the reference to a tiny mustard seed or the story from the bible that encourages me, i won’t even over think it, but it came at a moment i needed comfort and blessings. thank you for your lovely post. Gina

Oh Gina, thank you for sharing this with me. Thank you so much for your kind words. God truly works in mysterious ways. 🙂 I hope you are ok.

2. Thank you for this wonderful story. What a lovely thought that many more generations in your family can be inspired by this same beautiful mustard seed.

Thank you so much for these kind words. Have a wonderful day. 🙂

3. Thank you, you too :o)

4. Laurie says:

What a lovely gift for your granddaughter. I have a similar bible (mine has a red leather cover) from my grandparents that was given to me when I was six. ~ Have the faith of a mustard seed ~
    Laurie

I was always to moved by the comparison to this small mustard seed and having faith that size. Thank you for sharing this with me Laurie. 🙂

5. That is the best gift anyone could ever receive. That is one of my favorite verses too.

Thank you Susan for your very nice comments. They are my favourite too.