Human Voice Or Code

merle-taylor

“We might live in a world where knowing how to write code is gold, but for 93-year-old Merle Taylor there is only one code: Morse code.” Colleen Jones, reporter for CBS news.

Merle Taylor, at the age of 20 years old, signed up to help in any way she could during WWII.

When she originally attempted to sign up the only jobs for women were cooks, drivers or office workers and she wasn’t interested in any of those positions.  She had been very inspired by her Uncle Sandy Horne, a wireless air gunner killed in action Christmas Eve 1942.

All the wireless gunners were becoming less and less, so the ‘powers that be’ said well, ‘We’ll take the men who have the radio wireless training and we’ll train them to be air gunners and we’ll take women into Morse code and they can do the groundwork.'”

She trained many young servicemen in her own home in Nova Scotia.

“There were 59 airbases built across Canada to accommodate the boys from England, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia and Canada. It was that group of boys that I taught Morse code to,” Taylor said while sitting in her basement outside Antigonish — where she still taps out Morse code.

I believe that today as we honour and remember all the brave men and women who served and who perished in both WWI and WWII, I also want to honour this lady, Merle Taylor for her amazing contribution to the troops.

Photo courtesy of:

1. gc says:

Message received loud and clear. Dot dot…dash dash..dot! Forgive me if I made a typo error Pat. 🙂 Good post.

I would love to learn Morse Code!! Thank you Gerry! dot….dash…dash…dot!

2. gc says:

Hi Pat. Here is a site that teaches you how to learn Morse Code. http://www.wikihow.com/Learn-Morse-Code Enjoy.

Oh, thank you Gerry. This is great! To be honest though I think I’ll stick to the internet, lol. Thank you for your thoughtfulness! 🙂

3. Mick Talbot says:

The morse code for S O S is … — … or dit dit dit dah dah dah dit dit dit It can be tapped, as in tapping with ones hand against anything that will make a noise. With the use of something hard that will make a noise against another hard substance. Or by using a mirror or a flashlight, In all methods use the dit should one third the length of the dah. If improvising with light the it will three short flashes, three long flashes, three short flashes, remember to make the long flashes 3 times longer than the short one. When knocking/tapping make it three fast taps then a very short gap followed by three taps with a longer gap between them followed by a very short gap followed by another three fast taps.
    The morse code in full: a .- b -… c -.-. d -.. e . f ..-. g –. h …. i .. j .— k -.- l .-.. m — n -. o — p .–. q –.- r .-. s … t – u ..- v …- w .– x -..- y-.– z–.. I was 100% proficient up to 8 words per minute, on a morse key, that’s another story for another day, As for the SOS bit I hope you never have to use it, and if you wish to practice make sure that anybody that needs to know that you are, knows that your are. Be safe!

Thank you so much Mick. I found the story about Morse Code being taught by Merle Taylor just fascinating. I plan to read much more information on this subject and maybe someday I can give it a try. I will save your message and practice words. 🙂

4. Very interesting- great post!

Liked by 2 people

Thank you so much.! I was fascinated with this lady’s story. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

5. DeniseBalog says:

Excellent post! Love reading and learning about those who stepped up to serve!

Thank you. Yes, I found her story to be so fascinating. 🙂